Sunday, January 27, 2013

A MUST Make Recipe... Like NOW!

I love to cook. I love to feed people. Im no chef, but what I can cook is good. I think all the worlds problems can be solved over a home cooked meal. When I am upset, or get bad news, my first instinct is to cook. Maybe if I cook them something delicious, their problems won't be as big??

Makes perfect sense as to why I am a stress eater...

Oink Oink.

If I have known you longer than 5 minutes, chances are I have cooked for you or you have been someplace where I have brought food. Feeding people is what I do. Turn down an invite, and I am utterly speechless,,,

My most favorite person to feed is my hubby. LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook for him, followed by my kids. Dinner is served every night, 99% of the time. If it interferes with dinner time, we have a problem... A BIG problem...

Unless we are going there with big pots in tow... feeding others.

Visitors, friends, kids friends, family... you name it and a seat is available at the table. At any given day, we never know who will surround our big ol scarred table. When that overflows, we take to the bar top on stools, around the coffee table and on the floor. In summertime, we spill out in my screen porch where we have more tables and more chairs...

Plenty of room for whoever might migrate in.

When family comes to visit, I take their order. Whatever they want, I will make it for them.

Food and family should be one word...

Foomily??

Because it goes together. Naturally.

So today im going to share our family's newest and favorite dinner meal.

WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

Its an adapted version from my cook book. I tweaked it and tripled it because most recipes will not feed us.

And I don't use exact measurements... So be creative and I apologize in advance.

2 of cookings greatest secrets are :

Season and marry.

Most people make the mistake of underseasoning... and without those spices, you miss the wow. Don't be afraid. USE those spices. I buy them in bulk...

And Marry. Let the spices and flavors simmer, intertwine and C-O-O-K together. Don't sprinkle, mix and eat. Yuck yuck yuck.

They must be on the stove bubbling for a while until they mesh into one beautiful flavor!

Ok, back to my recipe. Here goes:
1tb oil
2 cans Great Northern Beans
1 onion chopped
5 cloves garlic
1/8 t red pepper flakes
2t. cumin
1 can green chilis
2 lbs. SEASONED cooked chicken cut up in cubes
8 cups chicken broth
2 cups Mexican mix cheese




Pour oil in big pot and saute onions and garlic till soft. Add northern beans, chilis,red pepper flakes, cumin and mix well. Throw in the chicken and the chicken broth and let simmer (NOT boil) for as long as you like

Throw in some rice and let cook for added bulk and texture.

10 minutes before serving add1 cup of cheese into the chili and mix well.

Add salt and pepper to taste (don't be shy)

I LOVE to serve cheese on top and crushed tortilla chips. Frozen and re-heated makes it taste even BETTER.

While its simmering. End results will be thicker and creamier


For us, its already on the stove simmering away. Has been for about an hour. Texts have been sent for dinner invites and it will be served at 4... after 4 hours of it brewing on our stove. A perfect winter recipe thats hardy, tasty and delicious... and feeds a BUNCH!

Let me know if you try it.

Xoxo
GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails