Friday, January 25, 2013

The Day Winter Came

I make no mistake in saying I hate winter. The older I get, the more I find the grey days depressing, bone chilling and just cold. You couldn't pay me to ski. Being bundled up to the eyeballs and having a perpetual runny nose sounds more like torture than relaxation. And don't get me started on my insatiable need to pee every 5 minutes. Nope. No snow bunny here. With that being said, I know plenty of people that just adore everything about it and thats fine too. The world would be a very boring place if we all were the same.

I do love the seasons and the crispness of Fall... and my seasons. I MUST have my seasons, but by January 2nd I wish to be poolside again. Swimming in the pool and chatting it up with the neighbors. Soon I guess.

But I LOVE storms. No matter the season, no matter the weather, a good storm really perks me up! And no-body knows how to throw a good storm better than the good ol state of South Carolina. When the sunny south gets a wiff of any form of solid precipitation, the slow paced south becomes  faster than those in the west.

Armageddon has hit! The revolution will occur and stockpiling of all things edible begin to disappear. ( hide your dogs people...) 

JUST KIDDING!... Maybe?

But its no joke that food disappears and schools close before the first drops fall in Tennessee.
And thats what happened today. An ice storm moved in across the Appalachian mountains and temps dropped making sleet and ice appear on our forecast and before yesterday afternoon the closings began. Co-op was closed, schools dismissed early, supermarkets shut down and even the Hubby got an early release and was able to spend the afternoon with us.

THIS is what I LOVE about the winter... The 1 thing that brings me joy. When the weather creates chaos and our day takes a different turn.


All my girls camping out in my room watching TV



With 1 snow plow in the county and no street salt, the ice stays until it sees the sun and its warm enough to melt. Country roads with no shoulder, small bridges and winding curves make for ice rinks... and almost everyone will be driving down country roads at some point in the day. 

a glistening layer of danger


Mountainous terrain and black ice appear by rush hour. THIS is why snow in the south is so dangerous and why we close at the slightest hint of a snowflake. One year we were trapped in the house for 5 days... DAYS! Because of an ice storm. The ice was 3 inches thick and lay in a complete solid block for 5 days... the state shut down until the 6th day, when temps rose and it melted away. THATS why supermarket shelves will go completely empty. Because once your in, your IN!

So I did what any mom would do. I busted out my 7.5 Qt crockpot and began chopping onions before 9 am. By 9:15 the strong smell of freshly cut garlic emanated from all crevices of our little red house. Its timed and sizzling and just about ready to serve to 9 hungry people who have been teased by its smell all day.

My roast (its not an egg people... its a potato. k?)
I can't wait. It will be finished off with us around the fire and enjoying each others company. If we must endure winter, what better way to do it?

I don't know how long we will be home bound. It could get dangerous in these here parts if the weather stays too long. Im not sure...

I'll let you know by Tuesday...

When it will be sunny and 70 degrees...

Just the way I like it ;)

Xoxo

GiGi


1 comment:

  1. I just wish we had gotten a little snow for our 27 degree temps!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails