Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Civil War


Monday we started learning about the Civil War. On our last library trip, I stocked up on all the books I could fit into my pink library bag. When I started the intro with my kids, I kept referencing back to this one book called Brown Paper School USKids History: Book of The American Civil War.

Each chapter of the book tells a different story. I don't want to teach just about facts and figures, I want to know about the people who lived and learned during this time. I want to intimately know all about the people who changed history. I want my kids to hear about the silent witness doll at the McLean house and the games once played on the Plantations. They will learn to decipher a spy's journal and make corn husk dolls.
We will try and re-enact the Battle at Bull Run play and bake our own Confederate Johnny cakes.
I was moved at the way Hannah re-told the story monday evening to Hubby about the brothers who fought against each other in the Virginia Woods. She related so much to James and Patrick. I had explained that like the Union was back in 1858, our home was technically divided as well. Some children were born in the south and were Confederate children and some were born as Yankees. We discussed what might have happened if they grew up during the time of the Civil War and how we might have had family members on both sides.
Today we read about a rich little girl; named Sarah, who lived on a plantation in Charleston. She had a slave girl named Hetty and secretly taught her to read. Oh how Sarah got in trouble!!! My kids could not believe something as simple as reading was looked at so horrifying for a slave. Their eyes are being opened to all the injustice this world holds.
We soon will be visiting plantation homes where these stories come to life.
I am so thankful I get to teach my children the history of our country. I get to see their excitement and their wonderment. All these things I would miss if I sent them away. SOme stranger would steal that joy from me.
Just another reason I love homeschooling my children.

3 comments:

  1. What fun to learn about the civil War. My DH cringes every time he hears a child from a public school so misinformed about the true history of the civil War ... he is so active in keeping the history alive & accurate.

    Even more interesting is you are teaching about how they lived & survived during this horrible imposition on the south.

    Our wee ones love to hear the stories from Poppy when they are hear.

    Enjoy your readings. Have a great day, TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am so thankful I get to teach my children the history of our country. I get to see their excitement and their wonderment. "All these things I would miss if I sent them away. Some stranger would steal that joy from me.
    Just another reason I love homeschooling my children"

    I love this^^^^^^

    I feel the same exact way. It keeps me going on homeschooling, those lazy days I don't want to do anything. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed reading about your homeschooling journey. I obviously don't blog about it much on my blog, but I do relate to you. I should blog more about our experience with homeschool, because we love doing it. We are learning about early Americans right now, and I love seeing the wheels turn in my kids' heads as they hear the stories. You're right, that joy would be robbed from us if they were not here learning it. I guarantee their 'teacher' in any other setting probably wouldn't even have that joy that you describe. Blessings to you and yours for doing what you do, and thank you for inspiring me another day ;D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails