Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread





Last week at church our friend Chris came up to me and handed me a bag from his wife Jeannie. She had just had her 6th baby and was resting comfortably at home. "What is this?" I asked. He just shrugged and said he didn't know. I opened the bag to find a piece of paper and a ziplock bag filled with a strange liquid/yeast. I almost jumped for joy right there during worship!! STARTER, my friend had given me starter!! I had always wanted this but didn't know how to make it. You can have all different types of starter and how you "start" it is beyond me. Most people have it from distant relatives or its a secret family recipe which you get only when married in. I could not contain myself. I started reading the directions right away.
 After 10 long days of "Feeding" my starter on my counter, mushing the bag and adding cups of flour and sugar, I made the precious recipe. It was DELICIOUS!!!! The loaf didn't have a chance to cool. It was eaten and enjoyed by all kids. I have more starter sitting on my counter. Some will be passed to friends and some will be kept for me...

2 comments:

  1. oops I guess I need to come get mine soon is it to late to bake it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Amish Friendship Bread and if you google out there about it there are so many variations and you can play with it as much as you want.
    Roberta Anne

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails