Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Do You Think?

On the phone one day with one of my dear friends back in Ny, the question came up... "Do you think Everyone should homeschool?"
How absurd I thought that question was. "Of coarse not." I blurted out. I prided myself in always saying that each decision to homeschool/raise children is unique and altered based on their own families and relationships with the Lord. I sounded good! I had the answers and I was convincing.
As days go by (and months in this particular case) and I reflect on how our lives have changed since that decision over 2 years ago, I have noticed a big change in thinking. I often putter around my kitchen and see how the relationship has changed between my Emma and I. During her 5th grade school year I saw the gap grow between us. I tried so hard to stop it but I couldn't. All the stereotypical tween tendencies were showing. Our family was divided more than I wanted to. The babies had their favorites and the older girls had their "chosen one." Breakfast conversations were replaced by yells to get out of bed, throw all belongings in the car and drop them off for someone else to tend to. By the time I had them home again, dinner was bubbling over on the stove and I was tired!! Homework, hubby time, chores and more homework took the place of casual kitchen chatter.
I could not find the time for my own precious children. How could I train them up in the ways of the Lord when I couldn't even find the time to help her with her strange homework assignments?
As we are entering in our 1.5 years of homeschooling in my little red house, I can no longer identify that horrible home environment I once had. Our family is whole. We laugh at the events of the day over dinner instead of playing catch up. I no longer feel like an outsider as my kids retell the life they live without me all day.
Our home has no favorites now. We are united. The younger kids look up to the older kids and the older kids have more patience with them. Life living among the littles is normal.
My Molly read her first word yesterday and its because I taught her. She writes her name because I taught her. When she has questions about life, she comes to me and I answer.
The south is under a cold spell with possible snow tomorrow night. We have been in hibernation for days. Quick runs to the mailbox are braved by one of us. Today my 12.5 year old told me that she loves being "trapped" in the house. That warmed my heart. Most kids her age would just die if they spent all week in the same house as their family. Not my kids. Thats normal, thats welcomed and even asked for.
I can't imagine our life any other way. I can't imagine not having them around me. Of coarse, if you happen to peek in my windows, you might catch me (gulp) yelling, losing my patience, and surrounded by a quite messy home . Under no circumstances do we spend days holding hands and singing kombaya. We are real. Down to the core! We have our good days, bad days and days in between. But never a moment of regret.
I don't know what I would do without them scurrying around, having 3 projects going on at once. I know that day will come one day... sooner than I hope for. But when that day does come, I will know in my heart I have loved them and trained them and spent as much time as possible with them. I will have no regrets ( ok maybe a few less days frazzled...)
Perhaps my answer to my friend was a PC answer? Perhaps thats not how I really think? I don't understand any other way. For me, it just doesn't make sense BUT to homeschool. I want all families to be like ours. I think the world would be a better place. Most problems in the world can be solved by just fixing the family.
Im sure many people disagree. And thats fine I guess... But for me and my precious ones that live in MY little Red House... I think Homeschooling is the only way!



7 comments:

  1. I loved this post! I was not homeschooled, but I went to a SMALL, private Christian school where my mom helped teach & my dad was the principal. NO JOKE! When I say small... I mean 11 people in my class and we still hold the record for the "biggest class!" It was almost just like a homeschool. So... GOOO Homeschools!

    I am so proud to hear about you homeschooling. No, We have never met, but IT makes me happy to hear that there are STILL Christians standing up for what the believe in! :) God is so faithful!

    Keep doing your thing, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just wrote my story, leading up to my decision to homeschool this year. My husband is a childrne's pastor, and last year, Jan. & Feb. he spent doing Upward basketball. Friday was the only day he was home, and my kids were at school. We were a mess! And between homework, housework, church, cub scouts, bb, and all those meaningless activities, our house was divided, miserable, and dark. This year, we are stuck indoors, and I watched as my 6 year old cuddled the baby today while she had a fever. That never would have happened last year, becuase she didn't know her older siblings. I love it too. There is no other way for our family, and our world would be a better place. I know, we are on the front lines dealing with cookie cutter, public schooled kids. My heart breaks for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud you in your decision to homeschool. It is something that is personal for each family. I am a part time kindergarten teacher in an excelling school (LOVE my job! Because I do get to teach them how to read, write etc.) but for our family it only works because I am part time. My children grew up in "our" school and have a different appreciation being a "teacher's" kid then I think most do.
    It is something that takes patience, love and faith!
    Way to go Gap Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. I had my kids in a small charter school for kindergarten, we let them finish and have homeschooled ever since(they are 2nd grade now) our family is so much closer and the flow is so nice. We are going to try for another baby come May and I don't know if I would have done that had the situation been different...
    Blessings,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting on my blog! I live near Charlotte,NC...you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to that! There are days when I think to myself, "Man, this would be so much easier if I put her in public/private school", but then I remind myself of the bond we have made, and the fact that she is so stinkin' book smart and "life" smart, and it makes it all worth it. Plus the sleeping in isn't too shabby either! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the insight. My daughter is only 7 months old right now but my husband and I are already trying to decide which type of schooling is going to be best for our family. We are leaning towards homeschooling, even though neither of us have any experience with it! I'm a little nervous because it seems like quite an undertaking (we are planning on having lots more kids!) but ultimately I think it is going to be best so we can raise our children up in the "nurture and admonition of the Lord."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails